Should you be a lover of chocolate desserts, prepare yourself for the ultimate indulgence with this easy-to-make chocolate trifle. Layers of decadent chocolate cake, creamy pudding, and whipped cream harmonize to fashion a dessert that will gratify even the most insatiable sweet tooth.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients to make the cake)
- 2 packages of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Bake the chocolate cake according to the package instructions, and let it cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate pudding by whisking together the pudding mix and milk in a large bowl, according to the package instructions. Chill the pudding in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Cut the cooled cake into small cubes.
- In a trifle dish or large glass bowl, start layering the cake cubes, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of whipped cream.
- Garnish the top of the trifle with chocolate shavings.
- Chill the trifle in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- To make the chocolate cake from scratch, follow your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
- For an extra indulgent trifle, add a layer of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate between the cake and pudding layers.
- To save time, use store-bought whipped cream instead of making your own.
Undeniably, this chocolate trifle is exquisite, yet it is indulgent in nature. If you seek some healthier alternatives, consider the following ideas:
- Swap out the chocolate cake for angel food cake or a light sponge cake.
- Use sugar-free or low-fat pudding mix to reduce the calorie and sugar content.
- Use Greek yogurt or coconut whipped cream instead of heavy cream.