Creating delicious and refreshing side dishes is an important aspect of any meal. One recipe that is always a crowd-pleaser is the creamy cucumber salad.
With its crisp slices of cucumber mixed with a tangy and savory dressing made with sour cream, mayonnaise , vinegar , and dill , this dish is a perfect complement to any main course.
During the summer months when cucumbers are abundant, creamy cucumber salad is a great way to use up any extra produce from your garden or local farmers’ market. This dish is also an excellent addition to picnics , barbecues , and potlucks because of its refreshing taste and easy preparation.
We will show you how to incorporate innovation and creativity into your recipe by using fresh ingredients and a unique approach to the dressing. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced cook , this recipe will be a great addition to your repertoire of side dishes .
Creamy Cucumber Salad is a quintessential dish of summer, flaunting a crunchy texture and a tangy, rich flavor. This recipe by Jennifer Segal yields 6 to 8 servings and takes 30 minutes to prepare. The total time for this dish is 30 minutes, plus an additional 30 minutes to salt the vegetables.
- 2 English cucumbers (also known as hothouse cucumbers)
- ½ medium red onion, finely sliced (approximately ⅔ cup)
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of the best-quality mayonnaise, like Hellmann’s or Duke’s
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup of freshly chopped dill
- ¾ teaspoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Start by cutting the cucumbers in half and then slicing each half down the middle lengthwise. Use the tip of a teaspoon to scoop out the center seeds. Cut each half into thin slices and place in a colander along with the red onion slices. Toss with the salt and let sit in the sink for at least 30 minutes, until the water drains out.
- While the cucumbers and onions are salting, prepare the dressing. In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, dill, sugar, and black pepper. Mix well.
- After the vegetables have been salted for at least 30 minutes, tap the colander several times on the base of the sink to release any excess water. Use a large wad of paper towels or a clean dish towel to pat the vegetables dry. Add the vegetables to the dressing and toss well.
- Cover the dish and chill until ready to serve.
Make-Ahead Instructions: The salad can be made and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day before serving.
Leave a Comment